Reenergize America - (possibly) from US Democrats
The liberal "blog" site Daily Kos
has had energy issues as a theme for some time. Several of the contributors there have been working on detailed ideas: the latest proposal
from users "Meteor Blades", "Jerome a Paris" and "Devilstower" presents a quite well-written and comprehensive summary of what can be done - still a bit short on some specifics - like total cost of the package of proposals! Anyway, worth reading - the title is "Reenergize America - A Democratic Blueprint (Second Draft)".
- Boost energy security to strengthen our national security.
- Reject current energy policies that weaken America
- Promote energy efficiency, diversity and conservation to protect Americans and the environment.
- Invest in renewable energy to create jobs and enhance America's technological leadership
Particular "SMART" goals are:
- 20% of our electricity from renewables by 2020
- 20% reduction of imported oil and natural gas by 2020
- 20% reduction in our carbon emissions by 2020
Within 100 days they promise 17 bills to make a difference:
- The Automotive Mileage and Pollution Credit Act
- Government Fleet Conversion Act
- Bus Fleet Conversion Act
- Energy Research Act (on the scale of $80 billion/yr?)
- Coal Liquefaction Demonstration Project Act
- Amtrak Restoration and Demonstration Project Act
- Telecommuting Assistance Act
- Federal Renewable Power Act
- Renewable Energy Research & Development Act (up to $3 billion/yr)
- Renewable Portfolio Standards Act
- Federal Alternative Energy Demonstration Act (one per state)
- National Conservation & Efficiency Act
- Home Improvement Credit Act
- The Standard Nuclear Power and Demonstration Project Act
On the Environment:
- Clean Generation Act
- Federal Energy Policy Enforcement Act
- Hydrocarbon Tax Act
and they want the US to re-engage with the world on Kyoto and future climate change agreements.
Overall, a pretty impressive analysis and summary of what's needed.
Created: 2005-10-25 20:24:58 by Arthur Smith